According to a study by the Association of Accredited Clinics for the Interruption of Pregnancy (ACAI), 85% of women who abort prefer to have a surgical abortion in abortion clinics and the remaining 15% opt for pharmacological abortions by taking abortion pills. Both types of abortion can produce complications. In the case of surgical abortion, these could be endometriosis, infections, perforation of the uterus, among others. In the case of chemical abortion, sepsis and large blood losses that require surgery.
In this sense, doctors from the Charlotte Lozier Institute have published a study that analyzes a dangerous practice. Many women admitted to hospital with complications after an induced abortion do not tell the doctor that they have taken the abortion pill, but say that they have suffered a miscarriage. This increases the risks to their health after abortion.
In the aforementioned article, entitled “A Post Hoc Exploratory Analysis: Induced Abortion Complications Mistaken for Miscarriage in the Emergency Room are a Risk Factor for Hospitalization”, published in Health Services Research and Managerial Epidemiology, the authors conducted a 17-year longitudinal analysis of 423,000 induced abortions and 121,283 emergency room visits within 30 days of the abortion, between 1999 and 2015.
According to the most recent Medicaid data, collected in the article, more than 60% of emergency room admissions related to the abortion pill were wrongly classified as treatments for a miscarriage in 2015. This data warns of the danger of hiding from the doctor that that abortion has not been spontaneous, but has occurred after taking abortion pills to provoke it.
One of the study’s authors, Dr. James Studnicki, claims this is due to a cover-up by the abortion industry, as women are encouraged to withhold such information from their doctors. In addition, abortion doctors are advised not to properly report the complications that the use of the abortion pill may have on women’s health. When a woman who has had a pharmacological abortion is treated as if the loss was natural, the risks to her health increase.
Dr. Ingrid Skop, a gynecologist who serves as the director of medical affairs at the Charlotte Lozier Institute, has stated that “recent media coverage claiming that a natural miscarriage and an induced abortion are the same thing amount to encouraging medical malpractice. The abortion pill impairs the immune system, meaning that women experiencing complications have a higher risk of infection, including an unusual sepsis. The abortion pill also increases the risk of hemorrhage.”
Many of the abortions induced with the administration of mifepristone and misoprostol, known as chemical abortions, are not counted in abortion statistics because they are not declared by the women involved, who, as the article states, hide this practice by claiming that they are miscarriages.
In addition to falsifying the dimensions of the abortion drama by excluding it from the statistics, the health of these women is put at risk. In many cases, they will need urgent medical assistance after the abortion and will have to undergo surgery for the associated complications.
Complementarily, the teratogenic effects – malformations in the fetus – should be pointed out in the event that the abortion pills have failed in their mission to end the pregnancy.
Abortion is a drama that affects the embryo or fetus and its mother. There is no “safe abortion”, because taking part, chemically or surgically, to cause the death of an embryo or fetus is an aggressive measure that will also affect the mother, in the form of clinical complications, such as those referred to in this article, and psychic complications, which have been extensively studied in many scientific articles.